The dance academy allows students to explore their passion for dance while earning credits towards their high school diploma.
FACTS ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Will run for 2 quarters (Q1 & Q2) during block A (morning block).
Students would either need to enrol in DSS full time or at least for Q1 and Q2 for their afternoon (block B) class unless they can provide their own transportation to get to another school.
- Receive credit for PE and Dance 8 – 12
- Receive 8 credits per year toward graduation
- Academy classes occur in the Genesis Theatre Dance Studio at Delta Secondary School
- Admission by audition in the Spring
- Open to males and females in Grades 8 – 12
- Serious, passionate attitude toward dance
- Strong technical base; jazz and ballet training
Scheduling & Transportation
- Delta students may attend Delta Secondary part-time to participate in the Dance Academy. (Bell schedules are similar at each secondary school in Delta; lunchtime provides time for students to move between schools to attend an academy at another school.)
- Bus transportation from Sands, Burnsview and Seaquam Secondary to Delta Secondary and back is available. There will be an additional $50/month charge for this. (From South Delta to Delta Secondary and back is also available for $ 25/month). Please note: Transportation to/from Delta Secondary is not available from Delview or North Delta Secondary.
- Instruction by professional instructors in core genres: Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary/Lyrical and Hip Hop
- Guest instruction in other genres, such as Ballroom.
- Students will be placed into dance groupings according to technical ability
- Field trips to professional dance company rehearsals, studios and dance performances, fitness experiences, and more.
- Students will create a portfolio to showcase their work throughout the year, and reflect on performances.
- Students will also receive head shots and dance shots
DANCE ACADEMY GOALS
- To foster a love for life long learning through dance
- To provide professional training in technique, choreography and performance
- To experience a variety of dance genres
- To provide individual and personal evaluations of technique, choreography and performance
- To encourage students to continually strive to improve their understanding of the social, cultural, personal and economic contexts of dance
- To encourage and enhance students’ appreciation of and passion for dance
- To expose students to career possibilities in the field of dance
CURRICULUM & ASSESSMENT
Objectives are derived from the Ministry of Education Dance 9-12, and Physical Education Instructional Resource Packages. Curriculum has recently been updated according to the new BC Arts Education (Dance) Curriculum.
Areas of dance study include, but are not limited to:
- technique, choreography, and performance
- anatomy, nutrition
- physical and mental health and wellness
- critical theory and analysis
- dance education and careers
- stretch & strength
- conditioning & flexibility
- professionalism and dance etiquette
- choreography and composition theory
- social, historical, cultural contexts of a variety of dance genres
Skill Development with Professional Dance Instructors
Skill development is based on students individual sets of experience, natural ability, and current level of technique. The goal is to improve from their current understanding of each genre we study and the fundamental skills of those dance genres. It includes an evaluation of students’ participation, technique, ability, and use of principles of movement.
Link to: Performance Rubric for criteria for each of the major performances listed below.
Please note that this course requires a commitment outside of class time, either at lunch and/or in the evening, for performance and/or rehearsal. As much notice will be given to accommodate students’ schedules.
EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
- Jazz – Students must supply their own fitted dance wear and black jazz shoes
- Ballet – Students must supply their own fitted dance wear and pink ballet shoes
- Hip – Hop – Students must supply their own sweat pants and running shoes